Monday, February 07, 2011

I'm Registered "Independent" because "Indecisive" Isn't an Option

I in no way shape or form will ever claim to understand anything about politics. It's one area where I think people should just agree to disagree and then get over themselves. Having debates and listening to both sides is the only way we'll really ever make any kind of progress over anything anyway. There's a time and place for it. However, I also will never deny that I am not a fan of the most recent President Bush. This has nothing to do with the economy, the war, or any policy that was enacted while he was in office.

No. My dislike of Dubya lies soundly in a personal encounter I had with him. Well, not HIM, per se, but his entourage and cavalry that accompany him everywhere he goes.

A few years ago, he came to visit the Springs and speak at a NORAD conference or some such something. During his stay, he checked into a hotel on base. This makes sense to me. While there is a false sense of security on a base, the level of ACTUAL security is fairly staggering. I didn't care if he was staying in the hotel just down the road from my house. What DID bother me was that he decided to go out for a cheeseburger when I was trying to get home from the grocery.

The Secret Service and Security Forces shut down the three main roads between my house, and the commissary that was less than half a mile away. There was no way to, from, or around it. All of the roads were shut down because they didn't want people to know the exact route the caravan was going to take. Again, a safety precaution I totally understand. However, because the President wanted a cheeseburger, it took me 1 ½ hours to make the two minute drive to my house.

And that, Aunt Becky†, is why it is totally all his fault my ice cream melted.


(Also, this was the topic of my very first blog post, which is what started my blogging career. I randomly bring it up now, because Aunt Becky asked about it last week.)

1 Thoughts on This:

Tiff said...

Your philosophy appeals to me.