Thursday, February 10, 2011

PSA ~ A Lesson In Etiquette

Do NOT mess with the people who prepare or handle your food.

Ever.

This applies even more, when you are acting like an obnoxious tourist rather than a transplanted American in a country where the locals don't speak English as a first language. Here? YOU are the foreigner. Not them. They are the ones rolling their eyes and making fun of you in a language you don't speak.

Tonight, I witnessed a lady throw TWO fits in less than 10 minutes over her order at a restaurant that serves the local fare. First, she swore up, down, left, right, backward, and forward that the last time she was there someone took the mushrooms AND the mushroom flavor out of the Schnitzel gravy.

Hang on. I'm sorry. They took out the FLAVOR of the mushrooms? I really want to know how they did that, and then I want to make sure that person gets a raise. A BIG raise. And a promotion. That's some mad culinary skills right there.

After she decided to just get a wiener Schnitzel which has NO gravy, she sat down and I got to order my food. The minute I paid for my order, she came back up to the counter with her sodas, informing the girl that there was something wrong with the Coke. She ranted for a minute that she knows what Coke tastes like and that was NOT Coke in her glass. The gal taste tested the soda, and said it tasted fine to her, which caused the lady to turn around and yell to her husband who was sitting down.

She said...

"This girl is trying to tell me I'm crazy, I know what Coke tastes like, and there's no way this is Coke. She's trying to tell me the Coke is fine."

Dear sweet, ignorant, apparently illiterate woman. You did NOT order Coke. You ordered COLA. They only serve "cola" here. And since the Coke here does taste different than the stuff you're used to in the States, you really don't know what you are talking about. Five people in the back came out to test the soda, and all deemed it "normal".

Our friend the whiner? She yelled at them all that she wasn't crazy.

I'm scared to think of the amount of spit that ended up in her Schnitzel.

2 Thoughts on This:

Tiff said...

Holy cow. What is wrong with people?

mytoesareblue said...

when i was in france, it bugged me to no end that some of the people i worked with who were north amerian complained that both the 'coke' and the chocolate bars didn't taste right. i said perhaps its because we're in EUROPE?!?! but they just couldn't seem to get over the fact that they didn't know what they were talking about.