Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 25: A First

I am always the first person to admit that I am accident prone.

I'm a Klutz. (With a capital K)

A day without me causing myself physical harm of some kind is rare. In fact, in the last two weeks, there has NOT been a day without blood, or bruise, or threat of losing an eye. I can't even make up good stories, because it's hard to make breaking a toe while getting dressed into a "good" story. One can only rescue kittens or puppies from a burning building so many times before people get suspicious.

Events in my life cannot be described as normal.

So, for my "first" for today, I will tell you about the first ever "no really, how'd that happen" injury.

I was in 7th grade. So, like, 12. Maybe 13. I don't remember. I was staying with my aunt and uncle for the summer, since my dad had to work during the week, and we weren't really old enough to stay by ourselves for long periods of time. I went into my little cousin's room to take a nap, and fell into a really deep slumber. When I woke up, I still had that foggy, should-still-be-sleeping thing going on.

The bed was a race car waterbed. The only reason this is important to know, is because the only way to get in our out of the bed was by the end of the bed. I stood up, took the two steps to the foot of the bed, and promptly managed to step on a fire truck.

Something like this...



And I ended up on crutches for the first time. With a sprained ankle. All because I woke up from a nap.

4 Thoughts on This:

Unknown said...

As a fellow klutz (from the oddest circumstances), I can totally relate. I love your stories!

Heather said...

Now see. As the mother of two boys, two messy boys that at one time would keep matchbox cars and all manner of rolling toys in inconspicuous places yet still out enough that my feet could get tangled up on them like at the top of the stairs while carrying a basket of laundry, I can TOTALLY understand you getting hurt from the car.

Not that I believe it was premeditated, mind you.

And for the record, I don't think I have ever thought one of your injuries was a "how'd she do that?" moment. If that makes you feel better. :)

Tiff said...

Holy crap.

Bratfink said...

Bare feet, legos, middle of the night.

The WORST.