Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mirror Mirror

Without going into too much detail, as I have things I MUST accomplish for Band Back Together before they fire me, I have to tell you a little story. 

When I was 19, I was terrified of being overweight. To the point that I was bulimic for 5 years.  This is me in 2002. I weighed about 112 pounds. I didn't see the skeleton arms when I looked in the mirror. As a matter of fact, I didn't see the skeleton arms until I found this picture about a year ago. My "mom eyes" picking up on the fact that this girl is way too thin for her own good.




I've sworn up, down, left, right, backward and sideways that I've never had any kind of body image issues. I am a liar. 

Today, I was trying to get a relatively good picture of myself for a biography for Band Back Together. After I snapped a million pictures with my webcam, I started to flip through the images. This one stopped me in my tracks. 



Do you see my arm? It's not as thin as the one in the photo from when I was 19, but it's not that far off. It's not the arm I see when I look in the mirror. I barely recognize the girl in this photo. I know it's me, but it feels surreal. It's strange.

The girl in the pictures (minus one where it looks like I only have one nostril and half of an eyeball is missing) is pretty. And confident. And I like her. I hope she sticks around for a while. 





************
Tomorrow, I'm telling you all about the Band. It's the bestest site on the interwebs right now. (AND it won a Bloggy this year!!! YAY!!)

Also, if you can stop by and give dear Aunt Becky some love and support, she can definitely use it right about now.

5 Thoughts on This:

Tiff said...

See? I TOLD you you were purty. :-D I'm glad you see it now, too.

Christy said...

I love you so much, Sara. You are such a beautiful young woman and I have always thought so. :) Most of all, I am so proud of how strong you are and how much you love your kids and your husband. I miss you terribly and hope to get to see you when you are in the states again. I, too, have struggled my whole life with image issues, but mine have gone the other direction into an addiction to food. One of these days I will see myself as God sees me, but until then, I struggle. Thanks for sharing your struggles with the world. :)

Carey said...

I agree...you're very pretty!!

Chibi said...

What an awesome, amazing post. LOVE IT! :)

CathiC said...

Fantastic post! Thank you for sharing it. You are lovely and talented, and have so much to give. I'm happy I've had the chance to "meet" you and am very happy to be working with you!