Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving. On a Tuesday. In June.

I am feeling kinda guilty right now.

I am not doing a Thanksgiving lunch with the daycare kids this year. We're learning about the Pilgrims tomorrow, since we're out of Native American and turkey pictures to color. We've made our own apple sauce, and debated whether pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie is better. (No one won the debate. We've agreed to disagree.) Yet we aren't having turkey and stuffing and yams and cranberry and green beans, or any other Thanksgiving fare on our last school day before Thanksgiving break.

I would feel a little more guilt about this, except I just looked at the menus for the next two weeks and discovered we're having "Thanksgiving" in two weeks for lunch. Because we can. And I remembered that this ended up in the menu rotation in August.

I was providing care for lady who used to do what I do, and when I showed her my menu to gather info on her picky eater she saw "turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, milk" listed for lunch on one of the days. And she accused me of being dedicated and awesome for cooking all of that for the kids.

So I confessed. It's not REALLY as amazing of a meal as it sounds. While it IS a crowd pleaser, it takes no more time than browning up some ground turkey.

What it really should read is:

Ground turkey mixed into a box of Stove Top, a can of sweet potatoes nuked in the microwave and sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar, and a can of cranberry sauce plunked into a bowl.

There is never any leftovers, and while I should feel guilty about the easy prep food, I don't.

I wash 14 plates, bowls, cups, forks, and spoons every day.

Basting turkey is up there on my to do list with having bamboo shoots jabbed under my fingernails.

3 Thoughts on This:

Carey said...

like

Amanda said...

Um, you can quit feeling guilty now. That sounds like something that my two youngest will LOVE and I'm adding it into our lunch menu rotation. I know they will thank you for injecting some variety into their (lunch) life. :)

Tiff said...

Sounds yummy enough to me...g