Monday, June 07, 2010

Disclaimer: I Cried Writing This.

I have to tell you this story. And it's not an entertaining one. And it sucks. And I cried. And my heart shattered into a million pieces. And my Zeph, she is growing up too fast, and I hate that she knows that there are real "bad guys" in the world.

Backstory: Paul's brother is deployed to the sandbox right now.

The other night, I mentioned to the girls that their uncle might be coming to our airport soon. Apparently, when I said it, something in Zeph's brain clicked, and she realized she didn't really know WHY her favorite uncle is in the desert. So she asked. And this mommy couldn't come up with a good half truth to tell her, so I told the real truth. Obviously (like in the where babies come from conversation) I only told her what she wanted to know. Letting her ask questions, and answering, instead of just throwing it all at her at once.

So now she knows the story of how, before she was born, some very bad men stole airplanes and flew them into buildings, causing lots of people to die. I told her that we share our military with the other countries to help keep the children and their families safe. I reminded her that we are a military family. Supporting Daddy and Uncle R is how WE help keep those kids safe in the desert.

Her response made the tears I was already holding back spill over, and my heart shatter into a million pieces.

She said:

But I don't want to.

3 Thoughts on This:

Aunt Becky said...

That pretty much breaks my heart too.

Tiff said...

Finally read this one just today...

I don't blame her one bit.

Heather said...

::Crying::