Sunday, May 09, 2010

Of Mommies and Things



Mother's Day is a conflicted holiday for me. I am a mommy, and yet, I don't have a mommy. In the traditional sense anyway. 

Somedays, I worry that I am going to be a horrible mother, because I don't have any clue as to how my mom did things. I don't have examples, good or bad, from my past to draw on when parenting my daughters. It's a very scary thing for me. 

Then however, I remember that while I don't have MY mother, I have SEVERAL mothers. After my mom passed away, it wasn't just my grandma and aunts that stepped up to help Dad raise my sister and me. No. Her very best friends did so as well. My aunts who are my aunties by choice, not birth. All of these women, relatives and pretend relatives, are absolutely amazing. So when I start to feel sorry for myself, all I have to do is remember that while some people have one mother, I have the next best thing. 

So, Marilyn, Teresa, Elaine, Mary Ellen, and Marla, I love you. Thank you doesn't even begin to express how grateful I am that you all a part of my life. 

And Happy Mother's Day to all mothers. Hope your day is filled with lots of hugs, kisses, and love!

2 Thoughts on This:

Kim Dettmer said...

Very heart-felt and wonderful! Happy Mother's Day!

Heather said...

I love this post. Sometimes people tend to forget that it isn't the relatives we get at birth that have the most influnce on us. You are an amazing mommy and it is obvious you had great female influences.