Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Prolouge

I want to write a post, but I can't, because I don't want to offend anyone my first blog post back from the hiatus imposed on my by being without the internet for a month. So let me pose a question to get you thinking, and tomorrow I will attempt to write out my feelings on the topic. It has to do with the labeling us as mothers give ourselves and others. Why is it, that we feel the need to surround ourselves with people who think, act, and do the exact same things we do? And only those people? Where, folks, is the challenge in this?

3 Thoughts on This:

Faerylandmom said...

I think part of it is our desire for someone to affirm and bolster our own decisions. I find myself doing that a lot, so I have to make a very concentrated effort to reach out and become friends with others different than myself.

I also know that one reason I, personally, surround myself (in particular) with a lot of strong Christian girlfriends is that if I didn't, my walk wouldn't be as strong. (Not that it's particularly great...lol).

Having a solid network of like-minded folks gives me the grace and strength I need to minister to friends who don't share any of my beliefs at all. The grace to love them and accept them for who they are, a precious being created in the image of God, just like me.

And believe me, I have a LOT of those...more than I thought I did, when I took a tally.

Anyway...that's one reason I thought of, although I know there have been times I surrounded myself that way because I couldn't HANDLE the challenge of anything different for awhile. :-)

Great question...looking forward to the next post.

Aunt Becky said...

Dude. I'm on the edge of my freaking seat here!

Heather said...

I think it is an unconscious decision. It's just human to stick with folks that are similar as ourselves. You know, that whole "Birds of a feather."

That's about as deep and meaningful as I can get right now....

;)

You are absolutely right, though.