Thursday, July 02, 2009

Let's Play Catch Up...

I was going to (and could have) written many posts about the rest of our move. Instead, I will condense the days, because I want to move on from the whore-or that was the last two weeks. Tuesday, Little Z's eye situation reached a head when I noticed she had a fever and was shivering. Even though it was a million and eight degrees outside. I wasn't feeling well either, but then again, I never do when I travel, so I thought nothing of it, till my back started hurting around 7 pm. By 9 we had called a taxi and were on our way to the ER. As it turned out, I had a kidney infection and bronchitis. As for the little one, well she's a talented little bugger. Did you know, if a child's sinuses are backed up enough, the snot can exit the body from the eyes? And that that fabulous condition then leads to conjunctivitis? I know that now. Even though I never wanted to. (Which is why I share with the group!) On Wednesday, we went to check and see if there was any on base lodging available, and were told that there was not, but the government didn't want to pay for us to stay in a hotel without a kitchenette, so we were forced to find another place to stay. Which is where we still are. In a little "apartment" that has no phone in the room, no Internet, and a lot of dust. But the view is divine. (And on the third floor!) Oh, and we got our luggage on Tuesday, so at least we got to go to the ER in clean clothes! Seems they left the entire cargo container in Baltimore. It never made it on the plane, even though they swore it was probably just lost in the luggage of the other people, who were taking the same plane on to another location. ************** In the military, when you move to a new place, you get 30 days of TLA (temporary lodging assistance) which means, they pay for where you stay for 30 days. During that 30 days, you have to aggressively hunt for a house. And fill out a paper saying why you didn't accept the houses that you looked at, and the reasons school district, location, and size are not valid reasons for not taking the house. Although, we learned that if you don't take a house because the front door cannot be fully opened and therefore your furniture cannot fit in the house, that's a valid reason! We looked at, and said we would like to live in 6 different houses. And out of those 6, 4 turned us down because we have kids, 1 said that we were too young, and the other? Well, we spent three hours at their house last night hanging out, getting to know our new landlords*!!! So, for the last two and a half weeks, I have hated Germany. It's hot, we're in a junky hotel, and my kids are making me crazy. But, our car arrived yesterday, we move into our house on the 10th, (it has no kitchen at the moment) and I finish in processing for my job on Monday. (I got a job at the CDC on base, because we didn't think we'd live close enough to the base to be able to do in home daycare and we were right!) I think this is going to be an okay assignment after all! *Who sent us back to the hotel with a bottle of wine. Which just all kinds of rocks! (Even if it is really dry, and not my cup of tea at all!

2 Thoughts on This:

Faerylandmom said...

The whole ER thing just made my stomach turn...that is horrible. What a sucky way to start an assignment...

At the same time, maybe your car parts won't as expensive there? :-)

Heather said...

Ok how you military wives do it just is beyond me. I typed up this whole gripe-y thing about my husband today. I think now I'll hit *delete*

(I hadn't published it yet)

I hope the little one gets better soon. I didn't know that about the sinus so I am glad you shared with the group!

Get better soon and good luck with the new house and job!