Friday, September 03, 2010

Day 28: Things I Miss...

Okay, this is one of the easiest topics for me. Living in Europe is awesome, but there are many conveniences from the States that I miss like crazy.

  • Target
  • Chick fil a 
  • Home Depot
  • street signs written in English
  • screen doors
  • central heating
  • air conditioning
  • 7 digit telephone numbers
  • American clothing sizes (I wear a Euro 38 which just seems wrong)
  • stores being open on Sunday
  • shopping malls
  • calculating distances in miles instead of kilometers
  • recycling because I want to, not because I'm forced to
  • 110 electricity
  • prices being the "same" instead of having to try and convert from dollars to euros
  • only having one currency of money, and knowing most places will accept credit cards 
  • being able to go to a website and not having it ask me what language I would like to view the page in
  • TV that's not seasons behind or on Hulu

And I also miss only being a day's drive from family. And being almost on the same time as family. This 6-8 hour difference is tough to remember some days.

I"m sure there's more. We'll call this the short list. 


5 Thoughts on This:

Tiff said...

Well then. Maybe I'm glad to have avoided the Europe experience...

Heather said...

You had me at Target.

::sniff::

I think I mistakenly assumed that being on an "American base" you'd have certain American amenities.

We all knows what happens when one assumes....

Anyway, besides being my hero for being a military wife, you have also gained my respect even further. No woman should ever be without Target, current reality Tv, or clothing tags with smaller numbers.

HUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUGHUG

Heather said...

Oh, and I'd like to add. This should be in a brochure somewhere:

"Europe: Nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. Not for long anyway."

Bratfink said...

You forgot Gene's.

White Castle.

Smiggy. [He misses YOU!]

Uncork and Unwined said...

Our list's look a lot alike! There are so many wonderful things about living in Germany, but it really makes me appreciate the American way!