Sunday, May 31, 2009

Why My Family Likes Me Far Away...

My baby sister's bridal shower is tomorrow afternoon, and being the GOOD relatives we are, my cousins Jen and Bonnie came over tonight to help make some cake balls for the shindig. Bonnie is an Art Education major, so she was in charge of the piping of icing*, even though she had never thought about piping icing in her life. (I'm nice like that.) Everything my family does is hit or miss at first. We learn by trial and error. As Bonnie piped her first flower, from where *I* was standing, it looked like a pot leaf. And I asked her why she was drawing THAT on a shower cake. Turns out, it was a random poinsettia. (Not really, but that's what it looked like at first!)

(This is the notorious pot leaf. I think all our cakes should now have random poinsettias!)
As she went along, she drew another flower, that she decided she hated, and I had to "erase".She was annoyed when we told her to draw simple flowers, and went on a mini tirade about how when SHE draws flowers there is detail and shading and blah blah blah, and she needs a bigger circle if she was going to do a decent flower. My response to that was: "Not if you were really good..."
(The end result! Fabulous!)
*The original plan was to make flowers out of nonpareils, but not one store in this stinkin' town had any! At least the ones that were open anyway!

6 Thoughts on This:

Bratfink said...

Is that the 'cake' she's getting? =-O

Or did you make another cake that gets cut into slices?

Because I like cake and inquiring minds WANT TO KNOW!

Heather said...

Those look DELISH! Gorgeous end result.

SarahHub said...

Cute and yummy!

Aunt Becky said...

*drools*

Pot leaves rule.

Faerylandmom said...

I like the random poinsettias myself. :-) Cracking up over here, and wishing you were back, and NOT going to Germany. You evil woman.

~ bonnie said...

We're not Jewish!